Yesterday, Gaurav (@giitjee) posted on his blog about a very interesting number happened to him, i.e. 381654729. This post is as a followup of the little conversation we had in the comment section there.
There is a simple trick with number 526315789473684210. Once you learn and remember this number, you can multiply it by any number less than 19 just within seconds. It would take more time to write down the number than the actual calculation. For example:
526315789473684210 x 17 = 8947368421052631570
526315789473684210 x 13 = 6842105263157894730
The trick is simple:
- Multiply by 5 to the number by which we are multiplying. In our first example, 17 x 5 = 85.
- Look for the the number just a little greater than 85 in the original example; that is 89.
- Write the number starting from there ahead: 89473684210.
- Add the previous part of the number subsequent to it: “89473684210”5263157″
- Add a zero at the end: 8947368421052631570
- That’s the answer.
Try it yourself and leave me a feedback!!
I don’t know why does it happen. I know the number is deduced as a reciprocal of 19; 1/19=0.05263157894736842…. It must have something to do with the trick. It also happens similarly with the reciprocal of 13, just we need to multiply by 6 and look for a number little lesser in that case.
Leave me a note if you know the proof or it is already somewhere on the net. Thanks 🙂